The holidays are coming, and that means it’s time to start thinking about gifts! If you’re looking for a unique gift idea that will impress your friends and family, why not try making a wine basket? You can customize the gift basket to include your loved ones’ favorite wines, along with some delicious snacks to pair with them. We’ve got the best DIY wine basket ideas for you!
In this blog post, we’ll show you how to create a wine basket that is sure to please. So sit back, pour yourself a glass of wine, and get ready to get creative!
Wine Basket Ideas: What to Put in a Wine Gift Basket
Start with the Wine!
Wine is the MOST important part of this wine gift basket, so it’s important to start here! Consider what bottles of wine (and how many) you want to gift – I recommend 1-3, otherwise you’ll be looking for a very large basket.
Personally, I think nothing says “celebration!” quite like sparkling wine, so I recommend including at least one bottle of bubbly, plus a bottle of red or white wine, depending on what the recipient enjoys best – or one of each makes a good assortment if you’re unsure!
Find a Gift Basket to Put Everything In
Wine is a heavy gift item, so you’ll want to find a sturdy, shallow depth, and wide basket to put everything in. Use tissue paper or shredded paper to fill out the extra space in the basket and provide a nice bed for everything to lie on.
Add Some Wine Gadgets & Accessories
To create the perfect gift, be sure to add some fun and personalized wine gadgets and wine accessories. Some gift basket ideas:
- Cheese Knives – I love this gold knife set from Target, but feel free to find one that fits the vibe of your wine gift set.
- Charcuterie Board – There are so many unique charcuterie boards on the market! Find one that feels personalized to the wine lover in your life. Check out our roundup of chic charcuterie boards on Etsy here.
- Wine Key – Give the gift that keeps on giving! A good wine key or other opener is a great thing to include in the wine gift basket. I love this 24k gold plated wine key!
- VoChill Wine Chiller – For the white wine or rose lover in your life, check out VoChill, a chic tool designed to keep your glass of wine cold. I love the stemless option for sipping wine by the pool!
- Unique Wine Glasses – There are so many fun and unique wine glasses out there! Personalized wine glasses, cool designs, holiday wine glasses, you name it! We’ve rounded up some of our favorite unique wine glasses in this post here.
- Wine Charms – Add a dazzling and chic way for guests to keep their glasses separate. Wine charms are a cute little gift basket add-in that you can use to personalize the gift.
- Wine Books – Create a focal point in your basket and combine two of the best things – wine and books! Check out these suggestions of wine books to include.
Compliment the Wine with Some Snacks
Gourmet foods are the perfect wine pairing! And can you name a better combo than wine and cheese? Add in everything your wine lover needs to create the perfect cheese board:
- A delicious dip – I love the Biltmore Cheesy Bacon Dip. It’s so good and can be used to dip your crackers, chips, or veggies or even as a topper for baked potatoes!
- Crackers – Add in something to put the cheese on
- Seasonal jam – The Blueberry Lemon Thyme Preserves from Biltmore will be a new fan favorite! I love it paired on top of creamy brie.
- Cheese – You can’t forget the cheese! For the best artisan, organic cheese, I would check out Cowgirl Creamery. I’m also a big fan of this zesty and delicious cranberry cheeseball mix from Biltmore.
- Dark Chocolate – Decadent dark chocolate is the perfect pairing for red wines, especially Cabernet Sauvignon. You can try to pair the wine and chocolate, or just think of it as a yummy add-on!
Complete the Wine Gift Basket with Decorative Touches
The best wine gift basket ideas all include a decorative touch that pulls it together. Think bows, wine towels, or even just little holiday trinkets.
How to Assemble & Make Your Wine Gift Basket
Once you have everything you need, it’s time to assemble the wine gift basket!
- Start by filling hte bottom of the basket with coordinating filler paper or tissue paper. You may need to add a little height to bring the gift items up higher in the basket to show over the top (which is why I recommend a shallow-depth basket). You can roll up tissue paper in the bottom and cover it later.
- Add the wine-themed gift items to the basket and arrange them as you see fit. I recommend using one item, such as a charcuterie board or book as a focal point in the back and then arranging other items around it. Taller items should go in the back, shorter items in front.
- Once everything is arranged, you can wrap the wine gift basket in a cellophane bag to prevent items from moving. Add a gift tag, and it’s complete and ready for the wine lover in your life!
Biltmore DIY Wine Basket Gift “Recipe”
If you’re looking to recreate my own Holiday gift basket, here’s everything I used to put together this gorgeous and giftable assortment from Biltmore Wines.
- A chic basket to hold all the goods in.
I found the perfect one here from Target.
- Some festive, decoaritve items for the basket.
This hand towel from Target looks great draped over the front of the basket, and also comes in six holiday-themed styles. They’re so cute you might even want to grab one for yourself!
- A charcuterie serving board.
This marble and wood board from Target was too gorgeous to pass up!
- Two (or three or four) bottles of wine.
I purchased the Biltmore Blanc de Blancs, and the Biltmore Chardonnay.
- A delicious dip.
I would recommend the Biltmore Cheesy Bacon Dip. It’s honestly so good and can be used to dip your crackers, chips, or veggies or even as a topper for baked potatoes!
- Cheese spreaders.
This gold cheese spreader and knife set is a must-have.
- Seasonal jam.
The Blueberry Lemon Thyme Preserves from Biltmore will be a new fan favorite!
You can’t forget the cheese! For the best artisan, organic cheese, I would check out Cowgirl Creamery. I’m also a big fan of this zesty and delicious cranberry cheeseball from Biltmore!
- A decorative element to top it all off.
Get creative on this one! It can be anything from ornaments, to holiday napkins, a fun festive decor item, or even another bottle of wine! The choice is totally up to you.
Now that you know how to assemble a wine gift basket, it’s time to put your own spin on it. Be creative with the items you choose to fill it with and don’t be afraid to get festive. After all, ‘tis the season! So go forth and create your own stunning DIY wine gift baskets for all the special people in your life.
Hope you enjoyed this tutorial on wine basket ideas!